Sunday, December 14, 2008

December 11, 2008






I got an extra special gift this year. One that everyone will remember for a long time. They'll say, "remember that day back in 2008, it was great!" Not everyone gets to remember their 51st birthday with such excitement. The day it snowed in southeast Texas.

The telephone woke me out of a sound sleep at 3:38 a.m. Any time the phone rings in the middle of the night I automatically think it must be bad news. Then I think again, it's probably Richard's work as I poke him to answer the phone. As he holds the phone to his head, I can hear Amber's voice, but I can't hear what she's saying. The tone of her voice is very excited and fast and I start thinking the worst again. I want to cover my head with the pillow. I hear Richard say, "well, she's awake now" and I know she's trying to talk to me, so I take the phone. All I hear is high pitched voices saying, "IT'S SNOWING, GO LOOK!!!" So I get up with one eye open, trying to get around the bed in the dark. Tripping over dogs and pillows on the floor, I make my way to the window.
Oh my gosh! It's not only snowing, it's staying! I run back to the bedroom and pull on some clothes and a coat with Richard snoring at full volume. As I leave the room, thinking I have to hurry because this phenomenon could stop at any moment, I shout to Richard, "Aren't you going to help me build a snowman?" I run through the house and open the garage door. As the door is slowly opening, it was like a grand theater curtain opening to reveal a glorious show. It was unbelievable. It was beautiful.

The dogs and I ran outside and just stood there looking at white everywhere. The dogs didn't know what to do. The only problem they had was they needed some grass to pee in and couldn't find any. I started raking the knuckle deep snow off Richard's truck and quickly making some semblance of a ball. The more snow I gathered the more my hands hurt from the freezing, wet snow. I needed gloves. I went back in and started looking for what would work best. We have work gloves, gardening gloves and gloves that match my coat, but I needed something that would keep my hands from getting wet. I had it! I ran to the kitchen and came out wearing my bright yellow, Playtex Living Gloves! They looked great with my very expensive long leather coat. Very ingenious I would say. About that time Richard finally appeared dressed for work. We only had a few minutes before he had to leave so we had to work fast. So there we were, 4:00 in the morning making snowmen from the snow on his truck. As soon as he would make a big ball, I would run it over to the park type bench we have sitting outside, stacking the balls on top of each other. We ended up with a family of snowmen. Only our snowmen didn't quite look round because of our hurry, but regardless we did have a family of snow aliens. As Richard left for work, he said, "Happy Birthday, I worked really hard to get this for you!" A birthday gift I'll never forget.

The weather report said we probably had 4-6 inches of snow. Schools were delayed 2 hours and everywhere you looked there were kids building snowmen and snowballs flying through the air.
By noon the sun had come out and some of the snow was melting. The amazing thing was even the next day there was still some snow in spots and the remains of a few snowmen. I don't think we have ever had snow last this long.

What a great gift for everyone! We'll be talking about this day for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers