Sunday, December 27, 2009

29 Years Ago

It was 29 years ago today, my man married me and I married him. I can honestly say neither one of us knew what we were doing, or getting into for that matter, those many years ago.

Richard and I met in September 1980 and we were getting married by that December. We were both young, I was 23 and Richard was 22. Looking back, I don't know how we thought this marriage would work after only knowing each other three months. I really don't think we were thinking of the future at all. We were just living in the moment. I remember feeling like I was taking a chance and didn't know for sure if I was doing the right thing. But, even though I didn't have any sense, God does. Somehow God in his wisdom and ever merciful grace on me, allowed Richard to choose me.

Twenty nine years ago I might have thought I knew what love was, but now I know I didn't have a clue. Over the course of our marriage, love has grown from that little seed that was planted so long ago on that December day. Richard and I are committed to each other more now than I ever thought possible when we said "I Do." God took two kids that took matter into their own hands instead of consulting God on His will for our lives, and made something wonderful from something that could have been a disaster.

All those years ago seem like only yesterday, and at the same time seem like forever ago. We are definitely not the same people we were on December 27, 1980 and I thank God for that. Twenty nine years ago Richard chose me and even though I didn't know what I was doing, I took a chance. Now, twenty nine years later, I do know what I am doing and I would do it all over again. I would choose Richard then, and I would choose Richard now.

Happy 29th Anniversary Richard. We have learned what love really means together ... and I love you. You've made my life better by choosing me to go through life with you.

1 comment:

  1. Ok mom you made me tear up, good job. lol I know what true love is and what a good marriage is and what it takes to be in a good marriage and thats only because I was blessed with yall as parents. Thank yall for being amazing parents and even better spouses to each other because yall have taught me so many life lessons and have taught me the things i want in a marriage just through watching yall as I grew up. I love yall.

    ReplyDelete

Followers