Monday, April 5, 2010

The Agony of De-Feet

Springtime, my favorite time of year! As the season changes to warmer weather, our wardrobe also changes.  Gone are the sweaters, jackets and boots, and out come the sundresses, swimsuits and ... our feet.  After having our cold feet in socks and shoes all winter, everyone is more than ready to paint their toenails and slip on those cute strappy shoes, sandals and flip flops.

Before we go running barefoot out the door, I must broadcast this public service announcement. We have a national problem that must be addressed. Brace yourself... the problem that must be discussed is dry, scaly, cracked heels.  I know... I know... It was as difficult to type those words, as it was to read them.

The last trip we made to Florida, we were on a dolphin cruise. The woman sitting in front of us had her back to us.  As I looked down, there were those heels.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  I can't even bring myself to describe them. I was so shocked I lowered my camera and took a photo to show my daughters what lack of foot care will get you.  I thought about downloading the picture to the blog just for shock effect but, out of concern for the faint of heart and those who are prone to seizures, I thought better of it. 

Sitting behind this woman, made it hard to look at the beautiful ocean. It was like a train wreck, my eyes kept looking down at those heels. I started feeling somewhat lightheaded from the queasy feeling in my stomach. The only thing stopping me from passing out was knowing if I hit the ground, my face would be inches away from those heels.  I quickly snapped out of it. 

So this brings me to the cause at hand. Just because your heels are behind you and you can't see them, is no excuse to subject the rest of the population to unsightly heel neglect.  Think of small children who are closer to the ground than we adults. Have you no pity on these young minds that are being formed at that age? As these children walk behind you, they are having the sight of your heels burned into their memory. This may be the underlying reason for our children's nightmares. It has only manifested itself into monsters in the closet and trolls under the bed.

I am calling everyone to arms against bad heels. If you start receiving lotions, creams, files and industrial strength pedicure sets, please look behind you and check out those heels. Someone just might be trying to tell you something. And men... you are not exempt from foot maintenance. Get out those power tools and go to work on those feet.

People rise up and lets take charge of this epidemic of the epidermis! The eyesight you save just might be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers