Sunday, July 18, 2010

Real or Reality

I am an avid people watcher. The psychology of why people do and act like they do, is fascinating to me. Whoever said that truth is stranger than fiction, couldn't be more right on. Some of the things people do....well, you just can't make some of that stuff up. Sometimes psychology just flies out the window, and I just have to shake my head and ask, "What were they thinking...?"

I am so taken with watching people just live their life, I might consider myself a "wannabe" spy or a peeping Thomasina. I think that makes me a closet voyeur. But... since there's not much to look at in the closet, I've had to resort to reality television.

I could feel the eyes rolling to the back of your head as you read that but, I confess... it's like watching a train wreck, I just can't look away. I am mesmerized by the type of people who would put their lives on national television. These people seem to have no shame or sense of self respect.  They know the camera is rolling, and they still put it "ALL" out there, just so the viewing audience will talk about them over the office water cooler the next morning. I know their poor mothers now do their grocery shopping in a wig and sunglasses, or better yet, have joined the witness protection program, never to be heard from again.

I have been a secret reality TV watcher since the "Real World" appeared on MTV in l992. Before that, the only reality TV I can remember were game shows, or the show "Candid Camera" that secretly filmed non-suspecting people in awkward situations. At least then it was done all in the name of fun. Now everything is done for the sake of shock and awe.

I would like to know what kind of a casting call is given out to attract these kind of reality stars. Do they have to have a history of mental illness, an extremely low IQ, or just be a few cards short of a deck.  I understand that the quirkier the people, the more interesting the show.  I can tell this just by watching the 10:00 news. Have you noticed the people they choose to interview for a hot news report...  "Yup dats right... I tole dem dar poleese, dat I dun seen ever thang dat happun... and it wuz wit my gud eye too."

I suppose I'm just looking for people that I can compare my family to so we don't look quite so crazy. I've always said that my family's issues are even too much for "Dr. Phil" or "Oprah". We would have to head straight to "The Jerry Springer Show" where the chair throwing would commence.

I guess I'll keep on watching my reality television hoping to find a show that makes me feel better about my kin.

Wait! Here's a thought... I wonder how much I could get paid for TV access to MY family!?! "Hey Richard... get a TV producer on the phone, I've got a great idea for a new show...!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers