Monday, December 27, 2010

30 Reasons

WARNING: If you have sugar sensitivity and/or an allergy to syrupy sweetness, STOP READING IMMEDIATELY.  Continuing to read may result in nausea, gagging or a general feeling of disgust. If an adverse reaction occurs, seek alternative reading material at once. If pregnant or breast feeding, consult a professional before reading.


Thirty years ago today, Richard and I were married. We had only known each other three months and thought we were in love and doing what people in love did. If I could go back and talk to that delusional couple, I would tell them they did not have a clue what love was but, go ahead and get married because the best was yet to come.

Thirty years later... I not only know what love is, I live with the epitome of love wrapped up in my man. I speak with authority because the wrinkles and gray hair I've earned in the last thirty years, have given me the credentials to say on December 27, 1980,  Richard and I didn't know what the heck we were getting into.

Over the years I have learned that love is not as much a feeling as it is an action. Love is a choice. Today there is one thing on this earth that I know for sure... Richard loves me. To celebrate our 30th anniversary here are 30 reasons why I love my man...

1.  Richard always wants me to have the best of everything... even the middle bite out of his peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

2.  When God was handing out self-esteem and self-confidence, Richard got in line twice. He is secure in who he is and doesn't have to depend on other's opinions to feel good about himself.

3.  This is the man who would lie down on my side of the bed to warm it up, so I wouldn't have to lie down on cold sheets.

4.  Richard is the voice of reason to my voice of hysteria. He is the total opposite of my "runs with scissors" personality. It's true, opposites do attract.

5.  At night he will say, "Give me your feet", as he warms lotion in his hands to massage my achy breaky feet.

6.  For 30 years he has said, that in our family, I come first before anyone else. The girls know this and wouldn't have it any other way. What a great example he has set for them to pick their future husbands.

7.  Richard is the most generous man I know. Although he makes sure we are financially viable, money is not an issue with him. If someone needs help financially, Richard doesn't hesitate and gives without a second thought.

8.  My man can not carry a tune in a bucket and dances with two left feet but, loves to dance me around the kitchen and sing in my ear.

9.  Richard loves our country and is very patriotic. It gives me goosebumps to watch tears come to his eyes as he respects our flag, says the pledge of allegiance or sings the national anthem.

10. He tells me he would give me the moon if he could reach it.

11. I could count on one hand the number of times I've put gas in my car in the last 15 years. Richard does the upkeep on my car and makes sure I've got gas in the tank. Once I forgot to tell him my car was low on gas and remembered it late at night. This prize of a man, told me he didn't mind getting dressed to go "filler up", because then I wouldn't have to worry about it the next day.

12. I love to watch him with our dag Maggie. He loves her and takes care of her like one of our kids. It's so sweet...

13. Richard has never balked at doing any housework. He doesn't mind doing something when he sees it needs to be done because he says he lives here too. 

14. Just hearing his voice can calm me. He is the calm in my storm.

15. Every evening when Richard comes home from work the dogs go crazy because they are so glad to see him. He pets them for a second then says, "I've got to get to mama"...  then gives me a kiss and goes back to play with the dogs.

16. Richard is my hero. He has come to my rescue more times than I can count. Whether it's car trouble, a flat tire, problems with the kids, or any of life's dramas... no matter where he is, he comes running.

17. I so admire the way Richard can freely worship at church. Many people have told me that watching him during praise and worship inspires them too. 

18. Hearing Richard say, "Hello Darlin' ", gives me butterflies in my stomach.

19. I wish I could believe in myself as much as Richard believes in me. He is my champion.

20. Although Richard is romantically challenged, I don't think anyone could try any harder to make me happy.

21. The older Richard gets, the more he lets his emotions show. Although he still has a rough exterior, every once in a while something will bring a tear to his eye. It reminds me how soft hearted and kind he is.

22. In 30 years, I have never heard Richard be judgemental or unkind about other people. He truly does see past people's faults. When I grow up, I want to be like him.

23. Richard is such a hard worker. When I watch him outside doing hard physical labor, I see a man's man and I'm proud to call him mine.

24. I love the way Richard is man enough to make fun of himself and take a joke at his expense.

25. Richard's very nature is to serve. He always makes sure everyone has what they need before he takes care of himself.

26. I am so impressed with Richard's knowledge and his hunger for historical facts. He is so smart and still finds learning interesting.

27. Richard's mind is like a sponge when it comes to information that interests him. He has proven many times he can read a book, watch television and hold a conversation at the same time... and yet, he can't focus long enough to remember what I've told him.

28. He never makes me feel guilty or bad when I've done something wrong. Once when I got a speeding ticket and deserved a "I told you so", he told me he couldn't say anything like that because I was being hard enough on myself.

29. Richard can take a burden off my shoulders just by saying, "That's not for you to worry about, you just let me handle that."

30. Richard is the one constant on this earth I can depend on. He makes sure I know I am loved, taken care of and safe.


Thirty years ago, I was taking a chance getting married so quickly. I now know that our marriage did not happen by chance at all. Our paths crossing did not happen by coincidence but was divinely orchestrated. 

Richard, God blessed me when he gave me you. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have married you even sooner. You are everything I never knew I wanted. I couldn't ask for more.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers