Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Eve. For me, the day before Thanksgiving is always a marathon day of cooking and baking. I do this so on Thanksgiving day, I can look like I just threw the meal together without much effort at all. I call it working smarter, not harder.
For our Thanksgiving feast we will have the traditional turkey and dressing. For the last couple of years we have fried our turkey. This is definitely a man's domain. Frying a turkey is in the same realm as outdoor grilling. When a man has his grill fired up, all the other men stand around the grill with him, watching the slab of meat sizzle as it cooks. As they watch the charred meat being flipped over, they all nod in approval like they just witnessed a great feat.
On turkey day, the men will be out in the yard, surrounding a large vat of smokin' hot oil. As the turkey is slowly lowered into the fryer, there is a sudden rush of popping and crackling of the hot oil. As the men start patting themselves on the back, you can hear all the "man sounds" and comments men make when they are in charge of cooking. "Oh, it's gonna be good. That's a some bird ya' got there. Good job. Uh huh..." Every man thinks he is the master of outdoor cooking, and we women let them believe that.
While the men are outdoors trying not to get splattered with hot oil, I'll be in the kitchen fussing over the glazed ham, cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, and so much more. The counter top will be lined with all kinds of desserts, from apple pie to pumpkin cheesecake. There is always so much food, it is ridiculous. It's a Thanksgiving tradition.
As I think about our Thanksgiving tradition of having food as far as the eye can see, I can't help but feel a little guilty, and a little embarrassed. We have been blessed and have so much to be thankful for. I am humbled by the fact that God has given us so much more than we deserve.
This Thanksgiving, I wish eating were not the main focus. I will have spent hours preparing food for this yearly feast. Then with my family gathered around the table, we will only spend a couple of minutes to give a prayer of thanksgiving to the One from whom all blessings flow. Hours of our thoughts on food and preparation and a couple of minutes on being thankful. What is wrong with this picture?
As I was in my kitchen today, I noticed my loaf of Sunbeam bread. I have bought this bread more times than I could guess, but today it caught my attention. On the front of the wrapper, was the sweetest picture of a little girl with her eyes closed and her hands folded in prayer, and to the side it read, "Not by bread alone." That says it all.
It doesn't matter if we have so much food on our plate, someone has to help us carry it to the table. It doesn't matter that there are too many desserts to choose from, so we have to have a bite of them all. Ultimately, it is not the food that sustains us, but the One that is the way, the truth and the life.
Matthew 4:4 ...Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.
I am blessed and thankful this Thanksgiving.


No comments:
Post a Comment