Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember...

There are certain events that when called back to memory, are flooded with details. I remember sitting in our den watching our black and white television, as the first astronaut walked on the moon. I can still remember sitting in my mother's darkened bedroom and the only light in the room was from the TV, as we watched the funeral of President Kennedy. I can even remember watching Elvis Presley and The Beatles on "The Ed Sullivan Show" and not understanding what all the fuss was about.

The memories of Tuesday, September 11, 2001 are forever in my mind. I was getting ready to go to work and thinking of the day ahead with my class of four year old children. As usual, I was running a few minutes behind schedule so I wasn't paying attention to the morning news coming from the bedroom TV.


It was close to 8:00 a.m. and I had to leave at 8:30.  I was racing around the room getting dressed, when the tone of the newscaster made me stop in my tracks. As the television screen showed smoke pouring out of one of the Twin Towers in New York, it was reported 
that an airplane had just crashed into one of the buildings.


I slowly sank down on the end of bed, watching the events unfold. There was so much confusion at the time, no one understood what was going on. I was thinking maybe it was a catastrophic accident, the airplane malfunctioned or possibly pilot error.


As I sat glued to the TV screen, a second airplane circled around and hit the Towers from the opposite side. At that moment, it was as if all the air had left the room. The TV announcers were as shocked as the people who were listening to them. Information was being pieced
together and the announcement was finally made... this was no accident. We had just witnessed a horrific act of terrorism.


My mind was racing, but I collected my thoughts and ran to the car for the twenty minute ride to work. Every radio station had tuned into the news broadcast, so I listened to the details of what was happening to our fellow Americans in New York.



These people had got up that morning, just like every other workday. They were running about their homes getting ready for the day ahead and wondering what they were going to eat for lunch. They were people... just like me.

I arrived at work and everyone was still gathering information and trying to find radios so we could keep up with what was happening. I started to ready my room for the arrival of my kids when I started thinking. These parents were dropping their babies off to me. I am always responsible for the children's safety and well being, but today was different. If something were to happen in our area, what would I do... what could I do, to protect these young lives.

As we were intently listening to our local radio stations, word was out that our area could be considered a terrorist target. Living in the hub of the oil industry was never as scary as it was that day. Stopping Texas' production of oil, gas and chemicals would be a way for the terrorists to make a huge impact on the United States.

Richard has worked in the refineries all his adult life and that day was no exception. I talked to Richard on the phone and he reassured me the plants were taking extra precautions. At that point know one was getting into the plant that wasn't supposed to be there. All I could think about was there was no way to stop an airplane if it were diving down at top speed.


Both of my girls were at school that day. Amber was at our local university and Kayla was at high school. All four of us were in different places and we never seemed so far apart. It was a time that I wanted all my family together. I needed to see them and know they were safe.



Later in the day, it was announced a third plane had hit the Pentagon and another plane had gone down in Pennsylvania. It was too much to comprehend. The stories that were starting to come out about what happened, were overwhelming.



In the weeks following, there was an upsurgance of patriotism with Americans rallying together in unity. Everywhere I looked, the American flag was flying in support of our country. September 11, 2001 changed our country and it's citizens forever. We can't go to a sporting event, to an airport, or even mail certain items without being reminded that the United States is still on alert.



During those first weeks the churches were filled to capacity. I also knew, there was nowhere else to turn but to God. Feeling vulnerable, unprotected, and unsafe, were not feelings we as Americans are used to. Just the sound of a low flying airplane, made me look to the sky with an uneasy feeling.


The days have turned to months and the months to years. On September 11, 2001 we could not imagine what life would be like for our country ten years later. Now in 2011, the memory is still there, but it's not something we dwell on everyday. Our lives have returned to normal, or as normal as you get knowing this kind of terrorism could happen again.


The fact that God promises never to leave us or forsake, comforts me in knowing every single person that lost their life that day was not alone. Only God knows the answers to our questions about that day. 

God being omnipresent knows everything before it begins, so nothing is a surprise to God. In this world, if it happens, God has chosen not to stop it. Sometimes it goes beyond our realm of understanding, but God sees the bigger picture and the ways it works for his will.

Isaiah 55:8  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.

Every terrorist who was doing unconscionable acts in the name of their god, do not realize that  God has the power and authority over their god and their earthly leader.

Deuteronomy 32:39 “See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand.

Daniel 2:21 He changes times and seasons; he deposes kings and raises up others. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.

Thank you God that you are sovereign and have ultimate control over all. We are still one nation under God.

2 Chronicles. 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers