Friday, September 2, 2011

Hunting 101


Richard is a bird hunter. He looks forward to bird season and his trigger finger really starts getting "itchy" about this time every year.

The season starts out with doves being the target... that's right, the beautiful birds that represent love and peace, and sweetly "coo". Why, I ask you... Why would you want to take that gorgeous creature, wrap a piece of bacon around and put it on a grill?

Dove season leads into duck season. Disney's Donald Duck has never made my mouth water with the thoughts of him roasting on a spit, or even picturing him doing the back stroke in a boiling pot of gumbo. I just do not have cravings for gumbo and quackers.

As if doves and ducks weren't enough, the season opens up for quail and geese. Mother goose should not have to worry about bullets whizzing by her bonnet... talk about ruffling your feathers. The only goose I want in my house, is the goose I get when Richard walks by me as I'm cooking dinner.

This past weekend Richard went to west Texas to get the area ready for the first of his annual bird hunting trips. Richard called home last night and was telling me about what had been accomplished that day where they stay and hunt.

Richard listing all the work they had done, happened to mention they had filled the water tanks to attract the birds. Whoa.... Hearing this, I had to have him back the conversation up and elaborate on the purpose of the water tanks.

Since talking about hunting usually puts me in a comatose state, Richard took advantage of the fact that I seemed curiously interested, and had asked a question about hunting. I could tell he was excited to impart his hunting expertise to me, as he rattled off the basics of bird hunting.

During the onslaught of hunting information, our conversation went something like this:

Richard:  It has been so hot and dry in this area, there isn't any standing water. So we had to fill big tanks with water to attract the birds.

Me:  Let me get this straight... you fill tanks full of water for the birds that are dying of thirst, then when they desperately fly in to take a few sips of water for their parched throats, YOU SHOOT THEM?

Richard:  No, we put the water in the tanks for the cattle that are there... and the deer and the coyotes can drink it too.

Me:  You're avoiding the question... How is putting water out to bait the birds hunting?

Richard: The birds need the water because Texas is in a drought.

Me: Richard... The definition of hunting is going and looking for something. Sitting in camouflage watching for birds to come find water is called WAITING.

Richard:  But I do look for them...

Me:  Yeah, as you sit there looking at the sky... That's not a sport!

Richard:  Well... it's more of a sport than shopping!

Me:  At least I go and look for what I want and don't sit and wait for it to come find me.

Richard?  Richard?... I'm not sure, but I think I just got the bird and I didn't even have to hunt for it.





1 comment:

Followers