Sunday, January 22, 2012

Anticipation

Thursday...

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. In just a few hours I will be going to see the ultrasound pictures of my grand babies. With the way I'm feeling, you would think they were coming tomorrow, not just taking a peek inside their little world.

It is too soon to tell what the gender of Amber's baby is, but we will still get to see "nugget" in the early stages. Kayla being five weeks ahead of Amber for delivery, is now at the point where we can see who actually is in there and not just who we call "peanut". 

Tonight I have been imagining the possibilities. Amber and Kayla could be carrying a future NFL quarterback or a scientist that will discover a cure. We might even have a supermodel that will grace the cover of magazines or a best selling author. My dreams of who they are, what they will do, and how they could effect the world, is making my head spin. Who could they be?

At some point I know these babies will start telling me what they want to be when they grow up. It will probably be something like a fireman or a mommy, but I'll already know what I want them to be.

I want them to be happy.

Friday...

The day we've been waiting on is here. In the dimly lit room we all got comfy on the couches as Amber climbed onto the ultrasound table. I was giddy with excitement and could hardly wait to take a peek.

As the ultrasound began, all eyes were turned toward the wall where we would all see "Baby Ray". At first it was hard to tell just what we were looking at, but the technician began to point out the head, the tiny beating heart, arms, legs..." There he or she was, it was "Baby Ray".


I was totally overwhelmed and in awe and before I knew it, I was in tears. I looked over at Amber who was trying her best to restrain her crying because she had to keep her tummy still to get a good picture.


We watched "Baby Ray" kicking it's legs, waving it's arms and even flip over from it's back to it's side. I'm sure it helped Amber to see just what was making her so sick, and to know it was worth all she was going through.


It was amazing... simply amazing.

Next it was Kayla's turn on the table. Knowing we were going to find out the gender of her baby was almost more than I could bear. Again all eyes were fixated on the images on the wall.


It was shocking to see Kayla's baby was at least twice as big as Amber's since there is only a month difference between them. We watched as the baby kept moving around as the technician tried to get to the exact spot needed to determine the sex.

We all laughed as we saw the baby put both arms and legs up and arch it's back as it pushed against the ultrasound wand that was pushing into Kayla's belly. Amazing...Simply amazing.


The image on the screen froze and the technician said there it is... IT'S A GIRL. I literally surprised myself at my reaction. I had been hoping at least one of the babies was going to be a girl. So when I heard "It's a girl" announced, I immediately went into the ugly cry. It was a noise making, nose running, doubled over, kind of sobbing. The kind of cry where you look around to see who is making such a scene, but then you realize... oh, it's me. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.


Everyone else was sort of confused and dumbfounded at my reaction and kept saying, "It's okay", like I was upset it was a girl. I wasn't crying because it was a girl, I was crying because I wanted it to be a girl. When I could finally speak again, all I could say was, "Now I don't have to return all those bows I already bought!"


The technician asked Kayla if they had picked out a name yet and she announced her name is Kyla Faith. Weeks before, Kayla and I had been talking about baby names. We both liked the name Lyla, but there are a lot of Lila's being born right now. I just happened to think, why don't you change the "L" to a "K" and the name would be Kayla without the "a"... Kyla. So Kyla's name came to be.

About a month ago, I told Amber and Kayla I had woke up one morning and felt certain what each baby was going to be. I felt like I just knew that Kayla was having a girl and Amber was having a boy. Everyone kept saying it was going to be the other way around, so I was beginning to doubt what I thought I felt.

I'm elated I guessed the right sex for at least one of them. We'll see if I'm correct about baby number two in about a month. I will say by the look of "Baby Ray's" profile picture, I'm sticking with my prediction. If I get "Baby Ray" right, I just might get a job as a sideshow barker guessing the gender for expectant mommies. I've always wanted to know what it was like to be "carny" folk.

I can't wait to meet these sweet babies. It was love at first sight.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers