It's a brand new year. The time to close the chapter on 2011 and start writing the continuing saga of our life in 2012. Last year felt like a roller coaster of ups and downs. The kind of ride that usually involves white knuckles and high pitched screaming. A ride that has some scary dips, but always makes you glad you bought the ticket.
Life can change in the blink of an eye or the ringing of a telephone. Kayla called last January to say she had been laid off her job where she had been working for seven years. With the economy in a downward spiral, job hunting was less than encouraging.
In April, Richard phoned and said he had heard of a job opening and Kayla just might fill the bill. In the matter of a few hours and a couple of phone calls, Kayla had a new job. This was more than mere coincidence. God proved to definitely be in the driver's seat.
Three times in a matter of six weeks this past summer, I answered the phone to hear we had lost someone. I still have to remind myself that my brother-in-law Joe, my Daddy and my lifelong friend Nancy, are not here. They have all left a void in this world that no one else can fill. Their absence is felt, but their memories will be with us forever.
This summer I also received a phone call from Jason saying he was going to ask Amber to be his wife. In July, I was excited to be in on the plan and thrilled to be able to see the engagement take place. It was definitely a bright spot in our summer.
Kayla called to say she had found a rent house and was going to be moving out of her apartment. Richard and Kayla worked for days on end to get the house the way she wanted it. We moved Kayla in and helped her make her house a home.
A couple of weeks before Amber's wedding, Richard had problems with kidney stones. We didn't know if Richard was going to be able to walk Amber down the aisle. It was touch and go there for a few days. Between the doctor, the emergency room and the cancelled lithotripsy procedure at the hospital, Richard somehow made it to and through the wedding day.
Amber and Jason were married October 15th in a sweet ceremony and then we celebrated their marriage with a big party afterwards. I didn't know if everything was going to come together, but it turned out to be a beautiful day.
Not long after the wedding, I received a phone call from Kayla telling me she was expecting a baby. Then in a few weeks, Amber announced she was also expecting. Two babies, five weeks a part are going to add a whole new dimension to our family. It looks like 2012 is going to be a continuation of this wild ride.
I don't know what 2012 will have in store for us, but God knows what is going to happen in the next chapter of our story. There is nothing too big for our God to handle and nothing takes Him by surprise. I'm just glad God is at the controls and has his hand on the emergency brake. This ride of my life has some scary twists and turns, but I can't think of any other ride I'd rather be on. So I'll just sit back, buckle up and enjoy the ride.


No comments:
Post a Comment