Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Out of Focus

It is amazing how many thoughts can fight for your attention at the same time. My mind can be in the past, present and future all at once. It's so peaceful and quite when I can settle my mind down, and tell all those voices to take a number and get in line because I'm only going to focus on one thought at a time. Satan uses these mind distractions to keep our mind off the true voice of peace, Jesus. I need to keep my mind focused on Jesus, and know He is the voice of truth. The voices that are causing confusion, fear, loneliness, lack of confidence and so much more, are not the voice of God. These are used by Satan to cause us to doubt God and question our relationship with Him.

In the past few weeks we have had more than our share of distractions. The hurricanes, Kayla's engagement, the start of wedding planning, school starting and the family dramas that have unfolded, have turned my mind's focus away from God's Word and onto the tasks at hand. Noticing how fractured I'm feeling and with my mind going a mile a minute, I had to stop and wonder what I was doing different. I knew immediately that I had let everything going on push my quiet time in the Word on the back burner. Every morning I had good intentions. I got my Bible out, my studies out, then before I knew it I was making wedding lists, dwelling on family matters and so many other things. I'm sure Satan was smiling knowing he had turned my mind away from God again.

I know that I'm going to win this game. Satan might have thought he was going to win this hand, but the trick is knowing his game and playing the trump card, I've got God on my side - how can I lose? Now that I realize his tactics I'm ready to fight back. We started our new Bible study tonight at church, I'm leading a study with Laurie and Elizabeth tomorrow and I'm determined to get my mind focused and back where it belongs. Keeping your mind on God is not something that happens by accident. It's a choice and a conscience effort. It's where my peace is, in His Word and at His feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers