Monday, February 8, 2010

A Bowl Full

There is only one time a year, I turn into a football fan. That once a season is Super Bowl Sunday.  Tonight the New Orleans Saints whooped the Indianapolis Colts in a 31 to 17 win in the 44th annual Super Bowl game.  It's not the playing of the game that draws me to the television, it's the football pot squares sheet that keeps me glued to the changing score. 

 I'm sure it was a good game, but I'm not really sure because all I actually watch is the score.  Every year Richard gets on a football pot.  The kind of pot where you buy squares and whoever has their name in the square of that quarter's score wins the money pot.  Over the years Richard has won a few pots, but most of the time someone else has their name in the winning square.  So in my football world, if we win a quarter's pot, it was a good game.  If we don't win anything, it was a terrible game, everyone cheated and we were robbed.

This year's game went down in history as a win for the Saints and a loss for us.  Our football conversation went something like this:

Me:  "Is it already the 2nd quarter?  When was the lst quarter over?  Did we win any money?  Where was I when all this was going on?

Richard:  "You were right there with your face in the bowl of guacamole."

Me:  "Oh ... well, it's good guacamole.  You said we didn't win any money because the Colts missed a field goal.  So what has to happen for us to win some money?" (sounds of crunching tortilla chips here)

Richard:  "It doesn't look like we're going to win anything this year." 

Me:  "What! That's not fair... surely there is something that can happen for us to have the winning score.  I don't want you to get on another football pot unless we can win.  This game stinks...  I don't like football....  I don't....

Richard:  "Just go back to eating your guacamole."

Me:  "OK,  crunch ... crunch ... crunch..."

I didn't get anything out of the football game, but I did have a Super Bowl of guacamole.  In the "Guacamole Bowl", I was pronounced the winner.  The guacamole didn't have a chance. Better luck next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers