I have always enjoyed a long, hot bath. I consider this one luxury that doesn't require any planning, preparation or the selling of your first born child, in order to have the money to indulge.
There is an ongoing battle between the shower takers and the bath takers as to which one is best. I liken it to the battle of the toilet paper. You can put the tissue on the roll with the paper draping over the top, or dangling from underneath. But, in the end (no pun intended), as long as everybody comes out clean, we are all winners.
I don't know at what point I decided a bath was the way to go. I do know that every since I have been married, I have been allowed to slip into a tub full of hot steaming water every evening. Richard always made sure that bath time was my time to relax. He did his best to field phone calls and corral kids for as long as it took to turn my body into a wrinkled prune.
I always locked the bathroom door just in case one of the kids got past dad. I learned this lesson when I was surprised to find out the kids were tall enough to open the door and take a running dive into the tub with me. There were many times I would lie there and watch the doorknob turn back and forth. When that didn't work, I then would see tiny fingers coming out from under the door. It appeared as though they were thinking, if they could just get their wiggly fingers under the bottom of the door, the rest of their body would follow, and they would have made it into my sanctuary.
I have nothing against showers. They are great for hair washing and a quick in and out, but relaxing, I don't think so. Standing up and trying to keep the shampoo and soap from running in my eyes is not my ideal. Also, just about the time the hot water gets the front half of you warm and toasty, your backside starts screaming, "What about me!" I have never taken a shower where "goosebumps" were not part of the experience.
I need a rotating disc in my shower like a microwave oven. I then could continually turn and have constant hot water on all my appendages at the same time. I may have to look into a patent on that ... On second thought, I can imagine me slip, sliding away as the disc turned. I would probably spin right off and end up lying flat on my goose-pimply backside, where I should have started out in the first place, laying in a tub of hot water. I think my shower rotating disc idea still has some kinks to be worked out.
What could be more relaxing than lying down in a tub full of hot water. The water should be so hot I can see the steam rising up and just hanging in the air. The bathroom mirror should be totally fogged up, making it next to impossible to see a reflection. Besides, looking at a fogged reflection gives you the vision equivalent of "Mr. Magoo", and makes anyone look great "au naturale".
I don't think I can be convinced that showers are the way to go. All the shower takers can continue to "stand" for what they believe in. I on the other hand, will stage a "sit in" for my right to soak it up. So, if I have to bare the title of "Tubby", so be it. I'll answer to anything ... except when I'm up to my chin in hot water.


No comments:
Post a Comment