Labor Day weekend was the perfect time for a family get together. Getting together not only to celebrate Labor Day but to have a planning party for our "Family Vacation"!
Richard fired up the grill (because it's against the law not to grill on Labor Day) and we had delicious fajitas with all the trimmings. After we all ate, then ate some more, we all sat down to go over the vacation plans. I pulled out my spiral notebook and proudly presented several pages of lists. I had suitcase lists, food lists, beach paraphanelia lists, restaurant lists and miscellaneous lists, plus the papers I had printed from the computer on the amenities and dos and dont's on the condo. I admit it, I am one of those people, a list maker. I always have paper and pen close by. I write everything down that I need to do, or buy, or remember. I would blame all this list making on a failing memory, but I must confess I think it's just another defect I have. I'd call it a compulsion, but to make it sound cuter we'll just call it quirky. (sorry I digressed, I should have been checking my list!) Anyway, there I was grinning ear to ear, displaying all my lists that I had diligently compiled. I was going over the items on the lists feeling somewhat like Vanna White showing off my treasures, when I looked up I saw Richard's eyes starting to roll up into his head, Amber's eyes were half closed and starting to nod off, and the only think keeping Greg's head from hitting the table was the fact his hand was propping it up. Then I looked at Kayla. There she was, my baby girl, eyes open wide and hanging on my every word. In front of her was a pad of paper and she had pen in hand quickly taking notes so she could add them to her own lists when she got back home. The nut doesn't fall far from the tree.
It was one of those times when I noticed just how opposite my two daughters are. Amber has my side of the family's looks but Richard's personality. Kayla has Richard's side of the family's looks and my personality. Just like oil and water, they just don't mix. I love both my girls dearly, but I have to admit, there is something special about having one of them that shares my quirkiness. I'll have to tell Kayla she has crossed over to the dark side of list making. Just so I won't forget to tell her, I'll go put it on my list!


No comments:
Post a Comment