The Webster's dictionary defines "Friend" as: a person whom one knows well and is fond of; close acquaintance; a person on the same side in a struggle; ally. In the dictionary in my head (words that are real and made-up!) the word "Friend" also has the definition of: being like minded; one who encourages and supports; someone who shares an emotional bond, and a person who makes your world a better place because they are in it.
It's easy to be friendly to anyone, but to become a friend takes time and effort. True friendship matures over time, it's not like a "love at first sight" infatuation. Friendship develops during shared times as life unfolds. My handful of real friends I have had in my life are relationships I do not take lightly. Each one has made an imprint on my life that will never fade away.
One friendship that I thought I had lost was with Jennifer. She and I have a history. That means lots of stories most of which are hard to tell because we're doubled over laughing at ourselves! We are our own Lucy and Ethel sitcom. We are both so emotional that we wear our feelings on our sleeves, which is not a good combination in any relationship. Not to mention the fact we are so much alike in so many other ways too. One of us alone is hard to handle, two of us together usually means duck and cover! We've had so many adventures and fun together we thought we would be together forever. We would sit and laugh, looking forward to the good times we would have when we were old, pretending to be young, with our lipstick on and dangle earrings as we go camping (at least our version of camping!) But life has a way of taking a detour just when you least expect it.
A couple of years ago we had a falling out, a Texas term for, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to talk to you any more!" Both of us with our fear and rejection issues, our stubborn natures, and our indecisive, I can't make a decision to save my life problems just let time get away from us. I took a risk the other day and opened the lines of communication with Jennifer again. It was only risky because of my own insecurities and fear of her not wanting to talk to me again. Sometimes chances are worth taking, and this one paid off.
After not talking for about two years it seems like we have picked up where we left off. It was so good to hear that familiar voice again. A voice that I know so well that every change of tone and word infliction speaks volumes to me; an unspoken language that we share. A voice that can talk at the same time I'm talking and although talking over each other, we hear every word and understand it all.
I hope in the past two years I've learned a few things that will make me a better friend in all of my friendships. I figured out the hard way that just because something is not done your way, doesn't mean it's not right for someone else. Sometimes emotions and feelings get in the way of seeing the real picture. My happiness and self worth doesn't come from anyone else but me. People change, and that's ok. God puts people in our life, or takes them out of our life. It's up to us to figure out the lesson God was giving us through that person. Life is short and is gone in the blink of an eye. Being unhappy or living with regret is wasted time. Life is full of opportunities but up to us to reach out and grab it.
Chances are worth taking.
Friends are worth keeping.


No comments:
Post a Comment